Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sea World (6/28/09)

While we were waiting for Greg to get information about the handicapped accessible areas of the shows, we happened to get to visit with Penguin Pete. Jessy wasn't thrilled with waiting, in general, so wasn't necessarily happy to take a picture with a giant furry penguin.
Unfortunately, Jessy's hat had slipped over his face and I didn't realize it when the helper took our picture. Rats!
Later, we came across the Polar Bear mascot. I don't remember his name, but whoever was in this costume was fantastic! Although there were plenty of other people standing around waiting for their turn to take a picture, this mascot took his time to talk to Jessy and interact with him. Jessy really loved the softness of his paws as he stroked his hands, arms, and cheeks. I wish I could express my appreciation this this person because most of the time, Jessy is ignored by mascots since he cannot respond in a typical way. But this guy really took his time and showed respect towards Jessy. For that, I will be eternally grateful.
It has been years since I have been to Sea World. But, when I lived in SD and had my annual passes, the Shamu show was absolutely my favorite. I knew all the trainers and would hang out there almost every day after work. I don't know when they updated their show, but I love this new show, "Believe" beyond words. In fact, it brought tears to my eyes. It was fabulous!
Waiting for the show to start. Yes, Jessy is snoozing. He woke up when the show started, though. I guess when you have to wait over 30 minutes for the show to start, what else are you supposed to do?
I love those Orca whales, such strength, grace, and beauty. My greatest wish, to be able to swim with one some day.






The new Sea Lion show was a spoof on "Saturday Night Live" called "Sea Lions Live." Although the tricks that the sea lions and the otters performed in the show are much the same as they have always been, the show itself was highly entertaining.

I think Michael could have stood and stared at Turtle Beach all day long. I just love the tenderness he shows towards animals. I just know that he will someday be in a position to impact the lives of animals in a positive way.


Our trip to the "Wild Arctic" was quite an adventure! Jessy absolutely loved the simulated helicopter ride to get to the base station. He laughed the whole time (while most of the other riders screamed and squeeled!) The kids enjoyed discovering all there was to see and do in this wonderful exhibit. But, when it came time to pose for a picture in the polar bear's cave, well. . . let's just say Michael thought he had been got! Just as I took the picture, the polar bear's growl was piped through the cave. Take a close look at Michael's face!

I really can't explain the look on Michael's face. I really thought he would enjoy the tide pool more than he did. All I can say is this was the very last thing we did and I think exhaustion had set in. The kids were all ready to leave and go back to our hotel, but Greg and I wanted to go to the tide pools as we really didn't think we would have time to come back (even though there was a special going on that allowed our tickets to be 2 day passes.) As it turned out, we were able to come back after the party at Linda's house to enjoy the Sea World's night time festivities. We were so glad we did.

2 comments:

It'smeSusie said...

LOL now I have the Penguin song in my head. Glad you all had a fun time there. Ahh memories of City Streets.

Marsha said...

I know, right?!