Sunday, May 31, 2009

Aquathon

I finished the Aquathon today in just over one hour, 15 minutes. I came in dead last (well, not exactly--3 people dropped out of the race, so I did beat them. So, technically I wasn't dead last), but I didn't drop dead. I am so proud of myself. My goal was to finish in one hour 45 minutes, so I beat that by quite a bit. I proved that I am not a runner. If it had been a swim, run, swim I would have finished much better! I was at least 10 minutes behind the other competitors when I reached the beach, but came out of the water in front of six of them. Of course, they all passed me on the second run, but that's ok. The best part was at the very end some of my swim team buddies (Carolyn, Erin, and Kathleen) came back to run with me and cheer me on. My legs were pretty tired and sore at that point. I was happy to walk the rest. But their cheering bolstered my energy and I was able to finish it strong. Erin even convinced me to sprint the last bit to try to beat 1 hour 15 minutes, but I missed it by about 5 seconds. My legs are sore, but I feel strong. I plan to keep practicing. Next time, I will be faster!
Michael is helping me stretch before the race.
The beginning of the race, about to go around the block. My friend Martha is wearing the blue suit right in front of me.
There I go! Now Greg and the kids will walk down to the beach to wait for me to arrive.
Walking. I'm tired and hot. Almost to the beach. About to head uphill again! Ugh.
At the water station at the beach transition. About to head into the ocean, my favorite part!
Transitioning. One sock and shoe off, one to go (and the knee brace, and the shorts!)
Finally ready and headed to the water.
We had to do 2 loops around the course and had to come out of the water so they could mark us off (no cheaters, please!)The kids playing while I am swimming. You can see the big orange triangular buoys that I am swimming around in the background.
Coming out of the water and feeling strong. I wish this was more swimming, less running!
Heading back up the hill to make the final transition.
Going through the showers (and pools) to rinse off the salt and sand. The funny look on my face is a combination of trying to catch my breath and the agonizing feeling of "Oh no, another mile and a half left to run!"
Trying to dry off so I can get transitioned to the final run.
My friend, Erin, told me to run the second leg without socks. Being the sock-loving girl that I am, I insisted on wearing the socks. The look on my face shows the frustration of trying to get those socks on those dumb wet feet!
Ok, finally ready. Off I go!
The final leg of the race. This was the best part as my friends came to support me. So nice to be loved!
Crossing the finish line with Erin's encouragement. Sprint, Marsha, you can do it! You are so strong!
I did it! I was most definately tired and worn out (but I didn't drop dead!)
With the kids recovering in the gym waiting for the awards ceremony. Congrats to Martha who got 1st place in the women over 40 group and Carolyn who got 2nd! ODST faired quite well with quite a few in the top 3 for their age/gender division. I won't be doing the next Aquathon scheduled in October because I will be too busy with the Master's world games, but by this time next year, I should be far stronger! Look out Martha and Carolyn, once I figure out how to run without dying, you two will have a challenger!

3 comments:

It'smeSusie said...

Good job Marsha!! I wish there was a way to put on little pictures on here, I would have used some balloons!! Goood Job!!

Carlin said...

Running is hard. It was the part I hated about triathlons. Congrats on doing so well. I'm impressed with you and all this "physical activity" you are participating in. I would love to do that myself, but I have found two things get in my way (well, three). 1) time, 2) freaking cold weather - no way am I getting wet and then going out in -30 weather, and 3) Hannah...until the girl is in school...I won't have much time. Someday though, I hope.

Marsha said...

And 4)babies that are still in the tummy are heavy to lug around!! I'm with ya on the cold weather. I couldn't convince myself to do it in Washington where it was nowhere near as cold as Canada, but wet, wet, wet. Who wants to go swim, then continue to get wet from rain?? Not me!