Friday, May 22, 2009

Forest Adventure

Greg and I took a mental health day off of work yesterday. We needed time to regroup and rebuild. We spent the day at a zipline and ropes course called Forest Adventure. We had a blast! It was the hottest day so far, so we came out pretty hot and sweaty, but feeling much better. It is amazing how exercise and floating on air can clear your mind! Here are some pictures of our adventure.


First, we had a quick briefing on how to work the equipment (not very high off the ground.)


Then we got straight down to business. I have wanted to do this for a long time, but I have to admit, taking that first step off the platform was a bit scarier than I had imagined. Every time I saw people doing these kinds of things on reality TV, I always was critical of their fears, thinking, "but you are wearing a harness, you can't get hurt. What's the big deal?" Well, apparently, my brain didn't care that I was wearing a harness. I truly enjoyed it. It was wonderfully freeing, but nonetheless, that first step always caused a deep intake of breath.


The views were breath-taking.


It wasn't all zipping through the air. There was definately some work involved. That cargo net was almost my undoing. I couldn't figure out how to not get my knees stuck in the net. When your knees are stuck, you don't go up. You wind up stuck on the net. But, a loving husband can coach you through it and make you realize that as much as you don't want to lean back over the vast forest below, if you ever want to get up and off the net, that is what you must do! I am typing this, so you know that I did indeed get off that darn net.


We never did figure out the art of landing gracefully on our feet. It was pretty much a crash landing every time. Greg thought my dirty behind and sweaty back was pretty funny.


After my experience with the first cargo net, I chose to skip out on the tarzan swing. The picture on the top was when Greg didn't zip, he swung, crashed into the net, then had to climb to the side. Then he got to navigate through another balance course. One of us gets to do it all again in 2 weeks when we chaperone Erika and her girl scout troop on their Forest Adventure!

2 comments:

It'smeSusie said...

Oh my gosh, that looks like so much fun!! What a great way to spend your day!!

Marsha said...

It was fun. I can't wait to go again. It's also a great workout for arms and legs!