Saturday, June 6, 2009

EOD Field Trip

Michael's Cub Scout troop went on a field trip that proved to me that I am working for the military. The dad of my other Wolf Scout, Josh, is in charge of the EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal) here on Kadena. We got to hold real American and Japanese hand grenades, dynamite, C-4 block, and TNT. We also got to see how the robots are used to get bombs out of locations safely and the boys got to climb through the Hum-Vs that are used by the EOD division. I was a bit overwhelmed, but of course, the boys (including Michael) loved it! Dad--Michael would really like to see the ammunition that you have found out in Ocotillo when we are home this summer. He thought it was really cool that he held one of those big bullets like the ones you have.
The Robot. Reminds me of Johnny 5 from "Short Circuit." Jack (the guy in charge) assures me this robot could kick Johnny 5's butt. Hee hee. Robot wars!
Watching as Jack controls the robot.

Jack showing the Hum V to the boys. He's a big kid, himself. (See the glee in his face as he shares his toys?!)
In the crow's nest.
"Come on up, guys!!"I'm not going to try to tell you what time of gun this is. But, it is really big and really heavy. EOD uses it the snipe bombs (they assure me that mostly their division does not use them against people, just bombs.)
I don't think they smile like that when they are about to shoot these things!
More playing with the robot. I had Michael pose while it was farther away. They weren't allowed to go up to it, so I couldn't get a closer shot.
Michael's turn to control the robot.
The screen shows the controller what the robot "sees." Right now, it is only "seeing" the parking lot. Not much interesting to look at.
Before I sign off, I must apologize to anyone reading this with more knowledge than me (which is almost everyone) if I used inaccurate terminology. Jack has tried all year to help me understand exactly what he does and military life. He has concluded that I am a hopeless cause. I really like Jack and I'm glad he and guys like him are out there protecting me, but I don't think I will ever truly understand what it is they face each day of their deployments. Thank you guys for a wonderful, unique field trip!

2 comments:

It'smeSusie said...

Johnny 5 is ALIVE!! LOL I thought that before I read your post!! Love it robot wars!! How cool they were able to have to tour. You know when I see men in uniforms that are some form of military, I always want to say something. I always think, they will think I'm some kind of weirdo, I never do. Maybe next time I will be brave enought to say "thank you for keeping America safe".

Marsha said...

I don't think they would think you are a weirdo. I think they would appreciate it. For the most part, they think nobody cares what they are doing. It was a very neat thing to be able to tour the EOD. It is an area that even military men cannot get into unless they work there. The other dads were excited, too!