Monday, September 22, 2008

Anniversary

We are celebrating our 1 month anniversary of being on the island of Okinawa. What a month it has been! It is amazing to me what we have managed to get done so quickly.

We had a fun weekend. We went to visit the USO's artisan fair. Unfortunately, it was a smaller venue than they had expected, but was still fun. Erika and Michael painted their own "Shisa" (Lion-dog)--guardians of evil spirits. Greg and I bought some Ryuku glass. The glass is heated and maneavered to design beautiful glasses, vases, bowls, plates, and shapes. I was hoping to purchase some Ryuku koi, but they did not have any with them. We were able to get 4 juice glasses and Greg won a blue bowl (in picture between our 2 shisa) and a small orange vase playing a fair-type game throwing a hat onto the different items.

The kids had fun at the Luau on the base (although I don't have any pictures.) It was like a small carnival. They got to play games, win prizes, and watch a presentation of Hawaiian, Tahitian, and New Zealand hula dance.

We are enjoying having 2 cars. It definately helps when we both have 2 very different time schedules. We spent the day Sunday at White Beach. This is a Navy base on the Northern part of the island. It rained when we first arrived, but thankfully, it blew over fairly quickly. We taught the kids how to snorkle and they enjoyed looking at the coral and the fish. The pictures show them looking for the many coral and shell treasures that they brought home, a picture of us as we are ready to leave (and tired!), and some scenery. (Keep in mind, it was raining when I took this picture. I should have waited until the clouds passed by. It would have been much prettier!)
The last group of pictures is for my dad's benefit, pictures of some of the Navy fleet we saw while we were at White Beach.




2 comments:

It'smeSusie said...

Cheers to your 1 month. Erika and Michael's Shisa are pretty. I aways thought the little lion dogs were neat. They always looked so colorful in pictures. Your new car is so cute.

Anonymous said...

The pictures of the shisa dogs and your new car won't enlarge when we click on them. All the other pictures do. Dad says "Thanks" for the pictures of the military boats. He liked the hover craft.
I thought about your one month anniversary (our) yesterday. It has always been amazing to me how time flies when you are having fun and are happy. Everyone looks GREAT!