Saturday, November 15, 2008

Perky Turkey Tumble

Michael and I competed in our 1st swim meet today! This was a practice swim meet that was at our pool and involved just our team. The Dolphins is a much larger swim team than the Killer Whales that we swam with in Longview. I guess with only one team to choose from, it would be that way! Although it was just practice, we did have lots of fun! Michael even got to do a fun kickboard race! There were several Masters' swimmers participating (not just me). But, we were mixed in heats with the younger swimmers. I swam the 100m IM, and 25m for both the backstroke and freestyle. I suppose I should have swam the longer distances, but I thought I would take it easy! The 100m IM was fun, but oh, do I hate breaststroke! My video is too big and took too long to download. So, I guess you will just have to take my word for it. It was a good swim. My time was 1:41.89. I was proud of myself!

He and Erika were great with the cameras while cheering loudly for Michael and me!

Michael looked very serious and professional at the start of his breaststroke. Too bad he is still not legal. Also, he was more interested in watching the swimmers beside him.
In the freestyle, he meant business! He really wanted to win! Waiting for our race... And ready to swim. Was I nervous or cold? I plead cold (ignore the sun and the 70 degree weather.) It was early in the morning and there was a slight breeze. . .

Freestyle is the best stroke ever! I even swam the whole 25 without breathing! Maybe I will learn to be a sprinter yet!





And there was a happy ending! Ribbons for all. Michael earned 7th place in both his freestyle and the breaststroke (there were no stroke judges, so no disqualifications) and he earned 6th place in his backstroke! Way to go, Michael. My blue ribbons are by default. The other Masters were male and not in my age bracket (don't laugh--one was older!)

2 comments:

It'smeSusie said...

Good job with the cameras work Greg and Erika. Go swimmers go!! Marsha was there someone there to hold your lap board, you know me I would have done it for you. Let see lap 6 or 36... hee hee.

Marsha said...

They didn't have counters! The people that swam the 400m free had to count on their own. I don't know if that is usual or just because it was a practice meet. But, I'm glad I didn't swim it because I surely would have lost count without someone messing with my head and making me pay attention!