Saturday, January 17, 2009

Pinewood Derby










Today was the big race! Michael has been working hard on designing, cutting, sanding, and painting his pinewood derby car. He wanted to make his car look like a dolphin in honor of the Okinawa Dolphins Swim Team. I helped draw the design (for those of you who don't know, you are given a block of wood to start with.) Greg helped Michael use a saw to cut it out. Both agreed that maybe they should have had a different design. But, they kept at it. I think it came out looking pretty cool. Michael placed second in his race! (Just a secret, the dens only race against each other: Tigers versus Tigers, Wolves versus Wolves, etc. Keep in mind, I currently only have 2 wolves, Michael and one other boy.) So, we didn't build a fast car, but that's OK. Because there are only 2 wolves, he did qualify to race it in the international derby. Michael has chosen not to compete in the international race. I think one disappointing day was enough for him. None the less, he is proud of his accomplishment of making a cool car.

2 comments:

It'smeSusie said...

Very cool Michael!! Congrats on being in a car race. I like your blue car.

Marsha said...

The car is actually grey. It is supposed to look like a dolphin from the side. He had fun with it and really is proud of his car!