Sunday, February 1, 2009

Cherry Blossom Festival

The Cherry Blossom Tree is the Japanese' favorite tree. It only is in full bloom for 2 weeks out of the year, but seeing the amazing color and the way it paints a hillside, I understand why it is a favorite! They are amazing! We went to enjoy their festival last night in celebration of this fabulous tree and their beautiful blooms. We have had some crazy weather (much more wind and rain than is usual for this time of the year) and I fear that had affected the amount of blooms on the trees. But, although not fully covered, they were a treat for the eyes and nose! The best part was the walk up to the shrine surrounded by the trees. Although my legs were screaming at me and my shirt was dripping with sweat, it was worth the climb up the 460 steps. Yes, I said 460 steps! But the view from the top was something I will always treasure. What a beautiful place I have the pleasure of living in!This picture was taken in the festival area before we got to the site of the ruins.


The beautiful blossoms


The view looking up. It seems misleading. This shows only about a third of the way up!

About half way up. Notice the sweatshirt is off now. I was happy for the photo break!

The stairs were numbered. I'm not sure this helped in any way!


This is the view up from step 400. We had to show you this because step 450 didn't have bright enough paint and the picture didn't work. I had to prove how many were left at this point!

Phew! I made it!


Paying my respects at the shrine.

The view from above at sunset.

Chalk up another great adventure and more wonderful memories (sore legs included)!

3 comments:

It'smeSusie said...

Your pictures are great. You know me I like the little flower blossoms. They looked pink, maybe red so pretty. Thanks for another fun Jamanese adventure.

Marsha said...

Jamanese?!! :) Hee hee.
They are pink, but the middle of the flower are more fuschia.

It'smeSusie said...

You say Japanese, I say Jamanese. You say Japan, I say Jaman!! LOL One should not be watching TV and try to type.